Are you looking for ways to gather insights from the data and logs your system emits? Would you like to join companies like Twitter and LinkedIn in providing your own tailor made search that will enable your users to drill-down and auto-complete features? How about creating shiny dashboards to visualize your system and the behavior of the data you gather?
In this intensive 2-day course on the leading open-source product Elasticsearch and it's related technology stack you will learn both the basics of full-text search and information retrieval and how to unleash the power of the inverted index, using the powerful ELK stack: Elasticsearch, Logstash and Kibana.
Through hands-on exercises, lectures and by discussing real-world challenges, you will learn how to achieve a better user experience by incorporating your own search engine in your products. You will also learn how to use the ELK stack to monitor your data real-time, to create live dashboards and to visualize your data.
Part1: Basics of Full text search & Information Retrieval, and Introduction to Lucene and Elasticsearch
- Basics of Full text search and Information Retrieval
- Introduction to Lucene and Elasticsearch
Part 2: Various query types, mappings, templates, understanding how scoring is applied and the Analysis Chain
- Various query types
- Hands-on experience with indexing and searching texts
- Understanding how scoring is applied
- Using Elasticsearch from your favorite programming language
- Use cases and continuous syncing with an external data source
- The analysis chain
Part 3: The aggregations framework, Logstash, Beats and Kibana
- Faceting for drilling down information and doing live data analysis and reporting
- The Aggregations Framework: real-time faceting on steroids
- Geo-spatial search and aggregations
- Anomaly detection
- The ELK stack - Logstash and Kibana
Part 4: Scaling out and cluster management
- Distributed search, multi-tenancy and scaling out
- Installation and security
- Working with cloud environments
- Maintenance and troubleshooting
- Performance, sizing and scaling out
Delegates need to bring a computers with JVM installed (Windows, Mac or Linux). Delegates will receive detailed installation instructions for several minor tools before the course.
Who should attend
Developers with 3 years of experience or more. Platform doesn't matter as most of the course is hands on via the REST API using dedicated tools (Sense chrome plugin or via Kibana).
Basics of Full text search & Information Retrieval, and Introduction to Lucene and Elasticsearch
Various query types, mappings, templates, understanding how scoring is applied and the Analsis Chain
The aggregations framework, Logstash, Beats and Kibana
Scaling out and cluster management
Advanced capabilities: scripts, suggesters, highlighting, percolators
The course and all material is in English