Azure for developers
The cloud is taking the world by storm. Several cloud vendors are competing heavily on features and pricing. With Azure, Microsoft has created a cloud to build, test, deploy and manage applications. Since its inception about 10 years ago, Microsoft has added a tremendous amount of services to Azure and it's really hard to keep track of everything in Azure. Often, developers are asked to "move things to the cloud"… and then what? Which service do you need? What is a better solution for which problem? And… where do I even start as a developer to move my applications to Azure?
This course is aimed at developers faced with these and other Azure-related questions. During these 3 days, developers will get an overview of the services that matter for them. You will learn how to build applications with the cloud in mind. You'll understand the most commonly used services and patterns when working with Azure.
After this training, you'll be much better equipped to take your code to the cloud!
- Some web development experience
- Visual Studio 2017
Who is this course for?
This course targets developers who want to start using Azure as part of their tool and development chain. No experience with Azure is required.
- An overview of the Azure cloud
- A history of the cloud
- Cloud platforms compared
- SAAS, PAAS, IAAS… oh my!
- What do I use for which problem?
- A word on pricing in Azure
- Understaning the Azure Portal
- A guided tour of the portal
- Customization of the portal
- Visual Studio integration
- Exploring App Services and App Service Plans
- Site Gallery
- Building and deploying web applications with App Services
- Azure Mobile App Service
- Monitoring your site
- Scaling with service plans
- Creating and hosting an API with Azure API apps
- Building and hosting an API in Azure
- Integration with Swagger
- Working with Virtual Machines
- Creating a virtual machine
- Pricing options
- An overview of the different database options in Azure
- Working with SQL in the cloud
- Understanding Cosmos DB
- Going Serverless with Azure Functions
- An overview of Serverless with Azure Functions
- Triggering functions
- An overview of the different storage options
- Blob storage
- Securing data using Shared Access Signatures
- VSTS and automated deployment
- Automating your deployment using VSTS and Azure
- CI builds
- An introduction to Containers in Azure
- What are containers?
- Exploring the different ways to work with containers in Azure
- Security with Azure Active Directory and Azure Key Vault
- Integration with Azure AD
- Storing secrets in Key Vault for your apps
- Monitoring with App Insights
- Performance management
- Integration from your app
- What else is there in Azure
- An overview of the services we didn't cover
What you need
PC with Visual Studio 2017
Azure Trial subscription
Gill Cleeren is a Microsoft Regional Director, Visual Studio MVP, Xamarin MVP and Pluralsight author. Gill focuses on web and mobile development and loves Xamarin. Gill is a frequent speaker at many international conferences such as TechDays, TechEd, NDC, VSLive, DevConnections and many more. He also is the founder of Techorama, the biggest IT conference in Belgium and he runs Visug, the .NET user group in Belgium as well. You can find his website at www.snowball.be.