Simple by Design: Declutter Your Architecture, Code and Test
A hands-on, minds-on and conversations-on workshop on application architecture and code design, made for the restless, inquisitive and creative minds.
How could we deal with the explosion of code, services and applications? How do we stay clear, sane and confident when faced with the myriads of languages, frameworks, conventions and cults?
Only with simplicity in thinking, designing and communicating.
This workshop is for you if you ever question or or feel confused about popular (including "enterprise") practices, teachings, or conflicting paradigms, and seek to rise above and go beyond.
We'll build an easy but "typical" application together in a few stages. For each stages, there are choices to be made on code design. Gradually, patterns appear, ideas surface, conversations rise, and we shall arrive at something very clear.
- the economy of design, code and testing
- rethink classes and methods
- rethink data and code
- rethink readability
- rethink unit testing and mocking
- rethink dependency injection and composition
- rethink layering in architecture
- rethink integration testing
- rethink Object-Oriented Programming
Through this workshop you will get a clear idea on how to architect, code and test for simplicity. But beware! Your architectural bias or preferences can be challenged.
- .NET Core - we'll be coding in plain C# (no fancy features). You'll manage even if this is not your daily language.
- An open mind
As usual, this workshop features unexpected tangents - often as inspirational as the main content.
See you there!
A veteran in the trade, Hackle enjoys programming as a thinking game. He advocates programming functionally and tries to share his learnings in ways that are pragmatic, idiomatic and accessible.